What is participatory budgeting?
Participatory budgeting allows young people to decide how to spend thousands of the city’s budget. In Brighton, the budget could help to start community projects up to 25 000 euros. In Oignies, teenagers have decided up to 100 000 euros for their highschool while in Trofa both community and school are targeted (25 000 euros).
Besides these differences, participants of the first seminar Learning to count agreed on some key tips :
- Learning about other PB experiences is useful
- PB should target both school and overall community
- Project leaders should be able to evaluate and negotiate the costs for their own project
- Project leaders should get the possibility to get help for elaborating and marketing their PB project
- PB projects should be publicized with video and public presentations
- PB should encourage deliberation with contradictory debate for each proposal
- Ballot boxes should never be transparent
- Preferential vote is a good voting method for PB
- Online vote should secure deliberation
- Teenagers should decide about the rules when PB targets young people
Other good examples are discussed in our project such as Cascais :